Sunday, October 25, 2009

Madness "Our House"

Madness. If I had written a song about the house I grew up in, it would have been horrible. This song is non-horrible. And that’s the genius of Madness. They took mom ironing shirts and kissing the kids off to school and made it a hit. The phrase that hooked me was "middle of the street". Location, location, location. I took that phrase quite literally. What an odd place for a house, I thought. I guess I never saw the video. For me, ignorance was bliss, I wouldn't have liked the song, if I understood that the house was equidistant from the two nearest crossroads. I prefer the image of trying to step on to the back porch only to be nearly run over by a city bus. In my mind, Madness' house will always be in the middle of the street...it was where they used to sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment